Elham Pre-School was established in 1965 to provide early years education for children from Elham, Hawkinge, Folkestone, Canterbury and all the surrounding areas in Kent. We are one of the few pre-schools/nurseries in south-east Kent that can claim that all of our current staff are parents themselves. This gives Elham Pre-School a certain personal touch, and parents often comment on how caring, nurturing and empathetic our staff are.
Elham Pre-School is a registered charity, managed by a committee of parents and an experienced and qualified nursery care Manager and Deputy. Being parent-led ensures that children are at the heart of everything we do and that the needs of children and parents are at the forefront of any decisions made about the setting. Our qualified pre-school managers, with their wealth of experience in running pre-schools and nurseries, help to ensure that Elham Pre-School is managed in accordance with current legislation and best practice guidelines with regard to pre-school and nursery childcare provision.
At Elham Pre-School we recognise the importance of promoting the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the children in our care. We are aware of the role we play in providing the foundations for children having an understanding of themselves and their place and value in British society.
From a young age it is important that children are encouraged to regard people of all faiths, races and cultures with respect and tolerance. We help our pre-schoolers to do this by:
- Encouraging them to see the bigger picture, and helping them to develop an understanding that their views count, but that they should also value the views and values of others.
- Helping them to distinguish right from wrong.
- Providing opportunities for them to develop their self-knowledge and self-esteem.
- Providing an introduction to the idea of different families, faiths, communities, cultures and traditions, each of which has its own intrinsic value.
- Promoting an understanding of the importance of rules within and beyond Pre-School, for creating a safe, fair and happy environment for all.